September is Recovery Month, a national campaign organized by SAMHSA to “promote the societal benefits of prevention, treatment, and recovery for mental and substance use disorders, celebrate people in recovery, laud the contributions of treatment and service providers, and promote the message that recovery in all its forms is possible.”
Treatment and Recovery
No single treatment option is effective for everyone; generally, each person will need a customized treatment plan that includes goals and treatment activities designed to help achieve and sustain recovery, and plans may need to be assessed continually and modified as necessary during the road to recovery.
Because a wide range of treatment and recovery support options exist, it’s important to find what works best for you or your loved ones who need help. Remember that treatment and recovery are ongoing – it’s a process that unfolds over time, rather than a time-limited “event.”
- There are more than 20 million people in recovery from substance use disorders in the United States.
- A majority of Americans (80 percent) have positive feelings about prevention and recovery from substance use disorders. Approximately 75 percent of people in the United States believe that recovery is possible from dependence on substances including alcohol, prescription drugs, and marijuana.
- One-third of individuals with severe mental health problems who receive community mental health services after lengthy stays in a State hospital achieve full recovery, both in psychiatric status and in social function. Another third improve significantly in both areas, even without full recovery.
- Two-thirds of Americans believe that treatment and support can help people with mental illnesses lead normal lives.
Source: Used with permission from recoverymonth.gov.
- On September 10, show your support for recovery at the annual Rally for Recovery at Target Field. Vinland is proud to sponsor this event organized by the Minnesota Recovery Connection.
- On Saturday, September 21, the Minnesota Recovery Connection will be holding its annual Walk for Recovery at the Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis. Vinland Center is a proud sponsor of this event. If you are in the area, stop by our table and say hello![youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CuzfL8haXs]
- On Saturday, September 28, show your support for individuals with mental illness at NAMI Minnesota’s annual NAMIWalks in Minnehaha Park.